Carbon monoxide (CO), known as the “silent killer,” is a colorless, tasteless, and odorless gas that is extremely dangerous to a person when inhaled, especially during prolonged exposure. As such, officials are warning of the increased risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in the cold weather months. The Wadena Pioneer Journal reports that carbon monoxide incidents increase by more than 10 percent during the winter months, so while the mercury continues to drop, it is essential for Nebraskans to prevent CO poisoning and keep those in their home safe.
A carbon monoxide detector is one of the best ways to prevent dangerous CO exposure, and these “alarms” should be installed in a central location outside bedrooms and on every level of your home. To maximize the effectiveness of the detectors, consider linking the alarms to each other so that when they sound, they all sound together. In addition, be sure to test the alarm monthly and replace the batteries promptly when needed. Read the rest »
Carbon monoxide poisoning is an illness caused by exposure to too much carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide (CO), frequently referred to as the “Silent Killer,” is an odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas that is difficult to detect. In addition, the signs of CO poisoning may be subtle. As a personal injury lawyer, Joseph Cullan understands the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and how important it is for Nebraskans take necessary precautions, such as installing a CO detector, to prevent a CO poisoning incident in their home.
There are a number of things that may cause CO poisoning, and various appliances you may already have in your home may be emitting unsafe levels of carbon monoxide if not properly maintained and kept in good working order. Also, using certain appliances in an enclosed, or partially closed, space may cause dangerous levels of carbon monoxide to fill the air. The following are different appliances which may cause CO poisoning: Read the rest »
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a tasteless, odorless, colorless gas produced anytime a fossil fuel is burned. This toxic gas can cause sudden and serious illness or death caused by carbon monoxide poisoning, which occurs after enough of the gas is inhaled. Carbon monoxide is frequently produced in domestic and industrial settings by things such as motor vehicles, heaters, or cooking equipment.
As inhalation of this gas is initially non-irritating, it can be difficult for people to detect; symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning can be similar to the flu and can also include nausea, shortness of breath, abdominal pain, headaches, vertigo, or lightheadedness. Larger exposures to this dangerous gas can lead to toxicity of the central nervous system and heart, or possibly death.
Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but following a few simple tips can help prevent you and your loves ones from suffering from this type of poisoning: Read the rest »