A 50-year-old man who was bitten by a neighbor’s dog during an August 4 gathering may have died as a result of the incident. According to an Omaha.com news report, the man was bitten on the cheek by Ace, a lab/pit bull mix owned by a neighbor of the Papillion resident, when he was petting the dog in the backyard of the person’s home. The man did not seek medical attention for the bite, which his wife of 28 years said looked more like a scratch, and opted to clean the wound himself. The owner of the dog had also offered to take the man to the hospital, but he declined. Tragically, he died several days later at Lakeside Hospital.
The 50-year-old had gone to the hospital two days after the fatal dog bite accident, telling the emergency room staff he was having difficulty breathing and also had a “weird feeling” in his hands and feet. The physicians explained to the man’s wife that her husband suffered from a rapidly moving infection that “ravaged” her husband’s organs, which may have been caused by a bacterium found in dogs’ saliva. The bacterium, known as Capnocytophaga, can cause severe and rapid infection when it enters a person’s bloodstream, though it is unusual. Read the rest »