Don’t Forget Important Documents When Evacuating Flood Areas

By Cullan & Cullan on June 20, 2011 - Comments off

As the waters of the Missouri and Platte rivers continue to rise, many residents in eastern Nebraska have had to leave their homes due to flooding. The state Department of Health and Human Services wants to remind Nebraskans to take their important legal documents with them when they evacuate. This includes driver’s licenses, passports, birth certificates, marriage licenses, Social Security cards, wills and insurance policies. These types of documents are difficult to replace and may be needed in the aftermath of the flood.

State officials are also asking residents to contact the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to report information about damages and losses. The information will be used to decide whether certain areas qualify for federal assistance. Residents who have evacuated their homes, have suffered damages to a business and those whose jobs have been affected by the flood should call NEMA at 855-211-2453 or 855-211-2454.

The city of Omaha is also urging people who live and work in the downtown area to have an evacuation plan ready in case of flooding. Those who may be affected can check the evacuation map drawn up by emergency management officials to see if their home or business is within the evacuation zone. For more information about the city evacuation plan and to see the map visit

The Omaha personal injury lawyers at Cullan & Cullan hope that our fellow Nebraskans are prepared to handle the flooding and have evacuation plans in place. We sincerely hope that both residents and emergency workers are able to stay safe during this difficult time.

Related Articles:

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.